Home
Quick Names Index
Family Trees
Interactivity
History
Photos & Websites
Zanzibar
  Photo  Collections
  Personalities
Guestbook

Photos Scanned And Provided By: Mustafa Pirmohamed
Email: mpirmohamed@gmail.com
 

to Lindi Notes - General Main Page

to Lindi Memories Main Page

 

Lindi Notes - General - Library


 

The first library was The Indian Public Library at the Indian Association building near Lindi Stores. It started in 1936 after the Indian Public School moved to its new location near the Stadium. Mr Chhaya (father of Kaku and Dhiru), a teacher, was looking after the library.

There was one Library building near the Lindi Club mostly frequented by the Europeans. In 1960s, the resident Priest of Ithannasheri Jamat,
Maulana Amirhussein Naqvi, started a library at the Madressa building. It was mostly frequented by students but also some avid novel readers from all communities. Apart from some religious books, there were magazines, comics (Dandy/Beano), and fiction in English and Gujarati. It was open to the public on some weeknights and Sunday mornings. The librarians were Shabbir Hameer and Mustafa Pirmohamed.

 

to Lindi Notes - General Main Page

to Lindi Memories Main Page

 


Last updated August  2012 Copyright Mahmood Fazal 2005 - All Rights Reserved Created By Husain Fazal